Temples in Udupi
- Sri Krishna Temple
- Kolluru Mookambika Temple
- Anantha Padmanabha Temple, Hebri
- Batte Vinayaka Temple, Barkur
- Brahmalingeshwara Temple, Hosakatte
- Chowlikeri Temple, Barkur
- Dharmika Punaruthana Seva Mandali
- Guddattu Sri Vinayaka Temple
- KALIKABHA TEMPLE, BARKUR
- KALIKABHA TEMPLE, UPRALLI
- KAUP MARIGUDDI, KAUP
- Kunjaru Giridurga Temple
- Kunjarugiri Sri Parashurama Temple
- SRI MAHALIGESHWARA MAHAGANAPATHI TEMPLE
- SRI LAXMIVENKATESH TEMPLE, PUTTUR
- MUKTI KSHETRAS
- SRI KALIKAMBA TEMPLE, KARKALA
- Sri Devi Annapoorneshwari Temple, Kodyadka
- PRASANNA GANAPATHI TEMPLE
- RATHNAGARBA GANAPATHI, RAGAKERE
- SLV TEMPLE
- SIDHI VINAYAKA TEMPLE, UDYAVARA
- SHAKTHI PEETHAS OF UDUPI
- Palimaru Math
- Admaru Math
- Krishnapura Math
- Puttige Math
- Shirooru Math
- Sode Math
- Kaniyooru Math
- Pejavara Math
SRI LAXMIVENKATESH TEMPLE, PUTTUR, UDUPI
India is known as land of temple and Udupi is famous as city of temples. To meet the cultural, social and spiritual needs independently the Vaishya community members settled in and around Udupi, Kundapura and Karkala decided to construct a temple at Puttur, Udupi. By the Grace of God the land was sanctioned and given by the Madras Government. In 1919 the 18 members committee was formed for the construction of the temple. The idol of Sri LaxmiVenkatesh was got sculpted at Karkala. The Installation Ceremony [Prathishtapana Mahothsava of the idol was celebrated on 07-05-1942. [Shalivahana Era 1864, Vaishaka Bahula Sapthami]
SRI LAXMIVENKATESH TEMPLE is situated 130 Kms. from our Gurumat towards south beside NH-17 and from Udupi 5 Kms towards north. The tourists travelling in N.H.17 up and down to Udupi, Kollur, Dharmasthala, Mangalore etc. are stand a while enthusiastically and visit our temple with great devotion.
ROUTINE OF THE TEMPLE 05.00 A.M : The temple doors are opened
05.30 A.M : Nairmalya Visarjana Pooja
10.00 A.M : Abhisheka
12.30 P.M : The midday Mahapooja with "Naivedya". The temple remains
05.00 P.M : The temple door will re-open
08.30 P.M : The night Mahapooja. Thereafter the temple remains
closed till next morning.
1. The "Mahadwara" [Main door] was constructed along with kitchen and "Pauli" in 1943 and the same was renewed in 1999. Mahadwara's outerframe is made by Granite stone and main door is made out of teak wood on which there are carvings ofDashavathara of lord Vishnu. Dwarapalakas [Jaya-Vijaya] statue has been installed in both side of the main door. Inside the main door there is a stage with beautiful white marble Mantap consist of Sri Vitobh Rukumayee statue of panchaloha. This also known as Bhajana Mandir and here every Saturday & on Ekadashi evening there will be bhajan [devotional songs] by our community members.
2. A big 10 feet height "Deepasthambha" was installed in 1944 in the middle of Sabhangana .
3. A beautifully carved wooden Pallaki has been received in 1966 and the silver cover has been made for the same in 1976
4. A committee was formed and registered as "Vaishya Brahmana Samaja Seva Samithi" to collect funds as capital for daily pooja [Nithya Seva] and viniyogas in 1984.
5. A Cradle of sandal has been received in 1988 and silver cover for the same made in 2000.
6. "Sri Shreenivasa Kalyana Mantap" and "Vasantha Mantap" - inaugurated on 13.10.1988. Sri Shreenivasa Kalyana Mantap is situated at the right hand side of the temple which includes permanent stage with two rooms, kitchen, store-room, dininghall and toilet. In this kitchen food can be prepared up to 3000 people at a time.
"Swarna Kireeta" [Gold Crown] was offered to The Lord by celebrating Golden Jubilee in the year 1991.
8. Swagatha Gopura - Inaugurated on 21.11.1993.
9. Sri Padmavathi Kala Mandir - Inaugurated on 18.02.1995. This Mandir is situated at left hand side of the temple which also includes permanent stage with two rooms, kitchen, store- room, dining hall and toilet. In this kitchen food can be prepared up to 2000 people at a time.
10. Silver Prabhavali & Kavacha in addition to brass, Silver Prabhavali has been received on 03.12.1998. There is also a beautiful silver kavacha to the Lord which covers from feet to neck.
11. RAJAGOPURA - Inaugurated on 22.04.1999. A 60 feet height with 5 steps and on the topmost 5 big Kalashas, build in Thirupathi style. 23 feet height SriDevi and BhooDevi statues, many other small dooms and Shankha -Chakra are built in both side of the main gopuram.
12. Sharada Mantap [with Sabhangana], Archak's house, Pakashala [kitchen]and Goshala [cowshed] were reconstructed in 2001. Sharada Mantap [with Sabhangana] and wall are fully renewed with marble floorings.There is a temple office in one side and a guest room on the other side of the Mantap. Next to this, in entrance of the portico of the temple there are two more statues of Lord Hanuman and Lord Garuda in both sides. On the top of this there is, a beautiful scene [art work of statues] of Sri Rama Pattabhisheka. Garbhagudi consist of Theertha Mantap and nearby Theerthabavi [well of holy water]. Inspite of this, there are two more wells which provides sufficient water for the general purpose of the temple. Infront of the temple and halls there is sufficient place for vehicle parking.
The important festivals and annual functions
(1) Chandra Ugadi [Chaithra Poornima]
(2) Sri Rama Navami [Chaithra shudda Navami] - with special pooja and santharpana
(3) Sri Hanuman Jayanthi [Chaithra Poornima] - with special pooja and santharpana.
(4) Vardhanthi Mahothsava [Vaishaka Shudda Sapthami to Bahula Padya - 10 days] There will be special worships, Pallaki uthsava, Vasantha Mantap pooja etc. Daily "Santharpana" will take place with the participation of thousands of people. Some of the Sevas are celebrated by the Doners. During this period there will be Akhanda Ekah Bhajana beginning on Ekadashi Day at 6.00 A.M to Dwadashi 6.00 A.M with non-stop bhajans [singing of devotional songs] On these days there will be cultural programs.
(5) Prathishta Vardhanthi Mahothsava (Installation of Deity Anniversary) [Vaishaka Bahula Sapthami] - with special pooja and santharpana.
(6) VaraMahaLaxmi Vritha [shravana Friday]- special Choodi pooja and santharpana.
(7) Ragoopakarma (Thread ceremony) [Shravana Poornima]
(8) Ganesh Chathurthi [Bhadrapada Chauthi]
(9) Anantha Vritha [Bhadrapada Chadurdashi] - with special pooja and santharpana.
(10) Sri Sharada Mahothsava [Ashweeja Padya to Vijayadashami] - Daily Durga Namaskar, 5th day Lalitha Panchami, that onwards the clay idol of Goddess Sharada will also be installed and worshipped. Santharpana will also taken place. On Durgashtami there will beChandika Homa. On the day of Vijaya Dashami a grand procession will taken place with many tableaus and colorful lightings starts from the temple to Kallianpur Suvarna river distance of 5 Kms for jalabhivasa of the idol.
(11) Kartheeka Deepothsava [Kartheeka Bahula Sapthami]-with special pooja with pallaki uthsava and Santharpana.
(12) Datta Jayanthi [Margashira Shudda Chathurdashi] - with special pooja and Santharpana.
(13) Holi Hunnime [Palguna Poornima]
During the year 2000, we celebrated Sri Venkateshwara Kalyanothsava, Laksha [Lakh] Thulasi Archana, Gandha Lepana with 108 Cocunut Gana Yaga.
Daily poojas and other viniyogas, the festivals etc. are conducted with utmost devotion. Sevas such as different abhisheka, archana, pooja, parayana, homa-havana and other devine services are regularly offered to the Deity.
The Management of the Temple
The Temple Board is registered as "Vaishya Brahmana Samaja Seva Samithi" consists of 5 Trustees including one Managing Trusty, supported by 15 members Working Committee alongwith two Internal Auditors, which will be selected in Annual General Body Meeting for the period of 3 years. The community members forming various Associations-like Vaishya Brahmana Yuvaka Mandali, Vaishya Brahmana Mahila Mandali - co-operate with the management in the temple activities, render voluntary service in the conduct of festivals and other religious celebrations.
The Vaishya Brahmana Education Fund - provides free books upto 7th standard students of our community with Scholarships.
All the programs, developments and other works are done with the great help of our community members and other respected devotees.
SRI LAXMIVENKATESH TEMPLE
POST SANTHEKATTE, PUTTUR, UDUPI - 576 125
Phone : +91 820 2580004
Script : P. Ranga R. Gaunskar
Edited By: Nagesh Shet K.
e-mail : email@example.com